The most common question asked about these ductless air conditioning systems is, how does it work? A short answer would be that they work the exact same way as a central ac system does, but without the ducts. Both systems produce air the exact same way, by sucking the warm air from your home. They then both absorb the moisture and heat from the air, and then dump it outside. However, where they really differ is how they deliver the cool air back to you. Ductless ac systems blow cold air directly in the one room or area that it cools. Whereas the central ac system uses ducts to disperse it through out your whole home. Still trying to determine if you should switch your Alton, IL home to a ductless air conditioning system? Read on to see why you may want to make the switch today!
Ductless Air Conditioning System Cools One Room
These systems do exactly as their name suggests, provide you with cool air without using a duct system. These units don’t need ducts because they only cool one area. This is different from the central ac system as they cool the entire house.
These systems are a three-part system which contains the following parts:
- Evaporator/Blower Unit: The evaporator/blower unit is also known as the “indoor unit”. This unit sits on the wall of the room that the unit is directing air into. The parts job is to suck in warm air from the room, absorb the moisture and heat from the air, and then blow the cool air into the room. As the unit blows cool air into the room, it sends the moisture and heat into the conduit which is on the outside.
- Conduit: A conduit is the part that connects the indoor unit to the outdoor unit. This is a thin, long cable that houses the refrigerant tubing, condensate drain, and the power cable. The conduit feeds electrical power to both units and is the pathway where the heat and moisture from the inside travels through to exit your home.
- Condenser: The ductless air conditioning systems condenser is the outside part of the unit. It’s main job is to receive the heat from inside of your home, and release it into the air outside.
Pros and Cons for a Ductless A/C System
- They are a cost-effective option for older homes in the Alton, IL area that do not have a duct system.
- With this type of system, you can install up to 4 evaporators to one condenser, allowing you to cool multiple rooms.
- These ductless systems allow you to not worry about losing money to duct leaks.
- You can create zoning since these systems only cool down one room. Zoning means that each room can get its own control to cool the rooms to different temperatures.
- Unlike the central a/c systems, ductless air conditioning systems are not able to be hidden. This is because the unit is attached to the interior wall, so it is visible. However, ductless systems are more sleek and less obtrusive than a window ac unit. If your home doesn’t have any prior ductwork, then you can choose between a ductless and a window unit.
- Upfront the cost of a ductless system can cost more than a central system with existing ductwork. However, if your home doesn’t have ductwork, then this is a more cost-effective option.
If you are interested in trying out a ductless air conditioning system, look no further than contacting us at B & W Heating and Cooling. We will send one of our local Alton, IL area professionals out to assess your house to make sure this system is right for you. Give us a call today!